Monday, November 3, 2014

Peace Piece

I love people. I enjoy meeting folks and talking with them about their lives. I seem to have at least a few things in common with most of the individuals I have spoken with over the years. Perhaps it has been a fluke, a matter of time and chance, or just fortuitous geography, but I find that I like most human beings.

It is rare for me to meet someone that I do not find attractive in some way. I am not blind, so many times the attraction is physical; I am a sucker for a great smile. I also am not deaf, so sometimes the attraction is a beautiful voice, or the words being spoken. Sincerity and intelligence are very attractive to me. I am also drawn to people that have a quick wit. Compassionate people are gems in our self absorbed society, but I try to keep my distance so they do not look at me too closely.

Am I alone in this idea that human beings can find things to like about each other. Are we so busy disliking each other's choice of music or salad dressing, political stance, religious preference, and /or life partner that we forget that we really have more in common than we have differences.

Peace begins within. Acknowledging that finding common ground is not so hard, is not the same as actually doing it. I challenge us to go make a friend of that person over there, yes the one that does not seem likeable.

Until Later,
Rita Darlene

No comments:

Post a Comment