Saturday, June 7, 2014

Moving Melancholy

When I am sizing up a place that may potentially be my home, the first spaces that I want to see are the kitchen and then the bathrooms. I have rejected many well priced apartments and houses because the kitchen was not "me." I need (yes, I am a spoiled American) a stove with more than one large burner and a fridge that has space enough to open the door completely. Deep double sinks and a goose neck faucet are also very pleasing to me. I have not had a garbage disposal since 1981; my plumber husband forbade the food grinding, drainage blocking, pieces of engineering in our homes.

One of the sad things about my current move is that I will miss my kitchen. Though we have only been in this house since October 2011, it has been well used. It is where I have made many meals for some of the best friends of my lifetime. The tile floor has been hard on my back and some of my crystal, but I have enjoyed the layout and size. I personalized this great space so much that I will sorely miss it. Some of the best memories of happy family dinners and giggling grandchildren began here. It is the last place I watched my husband do the dishes, (his gift to me for well enjoyed meal) while I had a medicinal scotch.

My youngest daughter wants to have a big party before we completely move to the other house a hundred miles away. Though all would be welcome, our friends probably will not visit with the frequency that they do here. I think her idea has merit, so I will try to get it planned in the next week and executed by June 26th. I visualize roasted chicken, potato salad, baked beans, coleslaw, corn salsa, fried okra, pumpkin bread and a fresh cut, ice cold watermelon.  Until Later ~Rita Darlene



No comments:

Post a Comment