Monday, April 7, 2014

Cover Letter

I have a feeling that I may have to start my own business again. I have not ever written a cover letter for a resume. When I was encouraged by a friend to apply for a management position at Massage Envy (my second favorite place in the world) a cover letter was required. This was my off the cuff response. Until my manager daughter told me people would appreciate a more professional approach, I was really having fun.

I have been managing people and situations since my sister appeared one year and one day after I was born. I did the normal entrepreneurial things in my tween years, babysitting (psychology 101), window washing (attention to sun management) and throwing a weekly community paper. At twelve I was working four hours per day for Chick Fil A, where I handled money and customers with perfection. Other food service jobs followed, until I reached my majority and moved in to bar management.
After my second marriage ended, I decided the only person I could count on was me, and started a home and office cleaning service. I did everything from sales to quality control (every time I come from the ladies to the front door at ME Ortega, I assist your fine staff by cleaning finger prints off the glass with the paper towel from my hand washing.)
I was hired by one of my clients to be his wife's assistant in running the administrative aspects of their varied businesses. After a couple of years I was made his second in command and basically ran everything while they traveled. In that position I managed an in house finance company for his used car dealership, a small advertising business, and the billing, customer service and collections for his other companies. I hired and trained the other office staff. I was trusted with check writing ability, single signature, up to 300K.  I worked for him seven years and was compensated well. I left due to a family crisis which required me to move to Live Oak, FL.
In Live Oak, I brought a family owned business in to the "computer age." 

I quit writing the cover letter because I felt sad that I could not be my normal smart aleck self and expect an interview. Besides this letter only covered from 1964 to 1996. When I started thinking about 1996 to the present, I really felt like an underachiever. Until Later ~ Rita Darlene  

PS: I just realized I have not been posting a song of the day. www.youtube.com/embed/pHzAVDg4m1Q

No comments:

Post a Comment