Tuesday, May 6, 2014

May 6, 2014

Thought provoking scripture of the day - Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life.

I know the short version of the ten commandments by heart and at times have used them as an eye opening exercise in the morning, to refresh myself on how I, a professing Christian, should be living my life. Many of my friends and family think that the fourth commandment is the "test", but I have known for a long time that the first commandment is the one that will make me or break me.  My parents started exposing me to the word of God when I was about four years old. Over the years, I have had times that I refused to read the Bible or attempt to live by it's principles. In retrospect, those times produced some of the silliest decisions of my life.


The stating of "the ten" is found in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5. In both places God starts by telling Israel that He is the One that brought them out of Egypt, out of bondage . Then He gives them the keys to a good life and the first is "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." That has always been the test for me, will I humble myself and put God first? Because, no doubt, I am the god that I put before Him. What I want, what I "need", what I "have" to do, are the battles against this command that I face daily. Selfish and willful behavior is, I believe, what God is leading us away from with this first  commandment . Talking with my Creator, reading His inspired word, making God the focal point of my decisions, are choices which I make and lead me out of my personal "Egypt", out of the darkness and in to the light.

This is the beginning of my day, I hope yours will be wonderful. I love you my birth children, I love you my "love" children, I love you my grandchildren.
Until Later ~ Rita Darlene

No comments:

Post a Comment