Monday, May 5, 2014

Puffy

I have been feeling a little puffy lately, and not just around the eyes. I have not been practicing self control about what I have been putting in my mouth. That has not been my focus lately. But while I was focusing on other things, I found a lot I want to change.

I have been listening when the men I know, or simply encounter, complain about their wives or girlfriends. I take the criticism to heart and wonder whether my best intentions also come across as less than beneficial. What has come to mind is that none of us really enjoy correction. Some of us, whether issuing reproof, or receiving it, handle it publicly, better than others.

In Matthew 15:10-11, Christ tells us that what goes in the mouth does not defile us nearly like what comes out of our mouths. When contemplating this, I realize that unless I eat poison, and die from it right then, I can overcome, with change, the temporary damage certain foods might do to my body or mind. However, the coarse speech, or misspoken word coming from my mouth, could completely ruin my relationship with another person.

So while I will be more resolved to improve the quality of what I put in my mouth, I think the bigger challenge, for me, will be to apply James 1:19 in all the remaining days of my life.

Until Later ~ Rita Darlene

No comments:

Post a Comment