Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I am an early "BIRD."

Good morning! It is 6:15 am EST as I start today's blog and I have been up for a while. I am doing some laundry, and I scrubbed the tub and ran an entirely too hot bath (here I am waiting for it to cool.)

I try to read the Proverbs of the Bible each day and meditate on how I can be a better person by the application of what I have read. A couple of the verses from yesterday struck me. Prov.  3:27-28 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in the power of your hand to do so. Do not say to your neighbor, "Go and come back tomorrow, then I will give it," when you have it with you.

It was not always my attitude to give to people that asked for my help. I learned it from several key influences over the years. There are many ways to give and I have been blessed to receive from some really great givers.

My mother and father are not monetarily wealthy people, but they have always been hospitable. My mother loves getting to talk with people, asking them about their lives and sharing hers with them. My dad is less talkative, but he loves his family and treasures the time with us. He gets to know lots of people because he listens while mom "interrogates" the guests. This usually happens during and after a meal that they have provided for whatever guest is there. Growing up, my siblings and I could always invite our friends home and be assured that mom would feed them and find out all about their families.

My husband taught me to give to those my dad called "panhandlers." (Having written that, later today I will have to find the meaning behind the saying.) My husband hardly ever kept much cash in his pocket because if asked, he would give it if he had it. I snapped at him once early in our marriage because he gave the ten dollars he had to a young black man that asked him for some money for food.
First he told me that he earned that money and could do with it as he pleased and he would prefer I not snap at him. Then he proceeded to explain his reasons for giving to those that asked. His mindset was truly amazing "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." He said that if he had to ask someone for money to eat and they had it, he sure hoped that they would give it to him so that he wouldn't have to think about stealing to eat and that he would not have to lose his dignity by having to ask a lot of people. I have tears now thinking of the loving man from whom I no longer have the opportunity to learn.

Tears from the loss of my husband were the conduit that enabled me to be influenced by my latest mentor. The day after Bill died I was so stressed, that my oldest daughter and her husband each gave me an hour of their massage time from Massage Envy. That two hour period started me down the road of massage as release from all the stresses of life. Over the course of a month I had different therapists until I had my first "accidental" massage with Sam. I was hurting and he was in (on his day off) helping one of his regular clients and he agreed to stay and give me an "emergency" booking. That day as I began to tear up toward the end of our session, he asked if I wanted a hug. And a hug from a stranger has turned into a beautiful friendship. From Sam I am learning to look at things differently, to give people what they need, not just what I think they need. From his example, I am learning to "get over myself" and stop being so selfish. He also has some interesting child rearing tactics which my children can be happy I did not employ.

I better get to that bath. The day is getting away and I have lots of stuff to do for myself and others. Until tomorrow ~Rita Darlene

No comments:

Post a Comment