Saturday, March 15, 2014

THIS WEEK I DREW ON MY GRANDSON'S OBSERVATIONS

On Monday, my 5 year old grandson and I were outside getting some vitamin D and cleaning out the flowerbed we put in last year. As he was pulling up some dried up coleus, he said "DD this happened because of the polar vortex."  This child is brilliant and is spot on in his observations.

Tuesday we were talking about how someone that wears a size eleven, needed a new pair of athletic shoes. I mentioned that a crazy looking pair my husband had only worn three times, were available.  The boy pops up from his homeschool desk and says "Papa is dead, so he won't wear them any more."

Wednesdays, he goes to an enrichment class away from home. There, he gets to interact with other young ones. It is good for him to be among his peers, as too much time with adults seems to have convinced him that we are his peers. This has been manifested in a series of interesting verbal faux pas : he called out to his father by his first name, he referred to my friend, as "Deb",  instead of Miss Debra, he told his mother she needed to watch her words, and he decided to correct a statement that I made to an acquaintance as soon as it came out of my mouth.

Thursday he went to his speech lesson, at which time his speech therapist confirmed that he is very intelligent. This was based on his description of a picture of a flower as "it has petals and bees use it to gather nectar."

Friday, we road to Live Oak in the same vehicle. We did not have much conversation, due to his being completely involved in the game he was playing on is mother's smart phone. At one point he did say he was thirsty and I offered him my water. He accepted the glass, but before he put it to his lips he asked if I was sick. Self preservation is, I guess, part of the intelligence quotient he possesses.

It is now Saturday morning and I long to see him, (and his sister, but she doesn't say much yet) and hear about the world as he sees it. Before I go over to listen to the boy, I really must listen to and talk with my DADDY. My days and weeks are filled with the time in between the joys of talking with my children, and grandchildren, other family and friends that feel like family. When I stop to contemplate, I realize that our lives are made up of series upon series of observations.


I hope that as I share some of my observations with you, that you will also share yours with me. 
Until Later ~ Rita Darlene


1 comment:

  1. Ok. I found your pics and have kept reading and enjoying your observations.
    Sherry.

    ReplyDelete