Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thrilling Thursday

Good afternoon! It is a cloudy, warm day here in St. Lucia. My youngest daughter and I are sitting at Chef Robby's restaurant, having local snacks and free wifi. The local dialect of English, has a decidedly French twist to it and is a bit hard to wrap my ears around. I found this port to be the most beautiful on the approach. The fingers of this volcano formed island jut out into the ocean and  provide a splendid picture from the ship. It was really cool to see a jet taking off from the airstrip just as we got here this morning.

What I have enjoyed most, here in St. Lucia, are the flirtations of the young men. I know it is ridiculous to be affected by their silliness. I do not know whether it is prompted by the fallacy that all Americans are rich or just the specific job description (to make all unaccompanied women feel attractive), but it works for a minute or two. 

The local lager beer, Piton, is not bad. This is high praise indeed, from a woman that is not a beer lover at all. My daughter is really liking the fried plantains and a local fruit daiquiri. The local drinking age is sixteen, though, on a Thursday afternoon, it does not seem to be abused.

I really just came off the boat to post this and collect my free spice from the port shop of Cariloha. It takes too much time to go see the waterfall of renown on the island and up close the port area is quite dirty and crumbling. I am a spoiled American and look forward to getting back to the comforts provided by the cruise ship. Until Later ~ Rita Darlene

No comments:

Post a Comment