Sunday, March 9, 2014

I found it !

What a great day this was. After a week of rainy, dismal, cold days, the week-end was just beautiful. My day today started really early - just in time to set the clocks forward. About 9:30 some friends and I met at the park on Doctor's Inlet and had a picnic breakfast. Our menu was quiche, pears filled with cottage cheese, sausages with sautéed onions and apple pie. Mine was accompanied by Dunkin' Donuts coffee. That meal gave me enough energy to go shopping at one of my thrift haunts. I was looking for a few pieces to take with me to San Juan next week. I hit the jackpot and got something for my daughter also.

When I stopped by to deliver the gift, I got to spend some time with my grands. It had been a few days since we had seen each other as they were up in North Carolina visiting another of their grandparents. My granddaughter has just turned a year old and is starting to pick up the pace of her walking speed. She has the sweetest little babbling voice and my mood improves every time she says DD and smiles at me.

You all may know me as Rita or even Darlene if you are my family or a really old friend, but all my grandchildren know me as DD. This name was given to me by my oldest biological grandson. My son and daughter-in-law asked what I would like to be called. My request was Grandy, but the beautiful boy just couldn't say that, his attempts came out DD. Nine years later that moniker is mine and used by all of the grandchildren (biological and those that are mine through love and marriage.)

I have ten grandchildren that claim me as their DD, although only six of them carry my DNA. The young ones range in age from seventeen years to almost six months and each one of them has a piece of my heart.  The only thing that I can think of that could have made today better, would have been to see all my grands, to have them smile when they said "hey DD!" Until later ~ Rita Darlene



No comments:

Post a Comment